This Week: Crazy People

Superman is Greater than Jesus

Sam and Wes join Mike as he explores how his love of superhero comic books has influenced his views on power, bullies and morality. Also, how the Bible and its characters fail on all fronts.
Additionally, we touch on the subject of Scientology for the first time, speaking specifically about the recent death of Alexander Jentzch.   Also, during this episode we also heard that Ernest Borgnine died.
Finally, if you’d like to hear more of Wes, you can head on over to Atheist Nomads.

Episode Archive

About the Author: Sam Mulvey

Sam Mulvey is a producer and the technical brain behind Ask an Atheist. He is a collector of vinegar varieties, vintage computers, antique radios, and propaganda.

RobC July 9, 2012 at 1:01 am

So if General Zod is like the God figure, does that make Superman the Antichrist?

Mind = blown.

Becky Friedman July 9, 2012 at 2:25 am

Well done guys! Title says *nearly* all (calling the episode “Yahweh is badder than Dr. Doom!” just sounded so negative).

Dennis July 10, 2012 at 2:49 pm

This comparison between God and comic Super bullies is very good, even excellent.

You’ve wanted donations from listeners. Put these thoughts and references in a booklet, expanded a little more, and I’ll buy it. It doesn’t even have to be a slick booklet, just a manuscript form so it doesn’t cost you much to print.

Aaron July 10, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I really enjoyed this one. The Yahweh or Dr. Doom game was truly inspired.

Doctor Doom July 10, 2012 at 6:37 pm

At last! I’ve had enough of being mentioned in the same breath as inferior super-villains like Doc Ock and Sarah Palin! I am an ULTRA-VILLAIN, my brutality is in the same category as the mighty Yahweh, and it’s about time you ants understood that! Little do you know I am currently creating a plot that will make even Yahweh step back and bow to my evilness!

Seriously guys, this demonstration was amongst the best arguments I’ve ever heard on this topic. Did you create it or did you “borrow” it? Sorry if you answered that question in the audio, I missed it.

Mike Gillis July 10, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I made up the Doom bit about a week before the show, while writing the episode.

It just hit me that the two have a very similar speech pattern and it went from there.

Doctor Doom July 10, 2012 at 9:45 pm

F’ing brilliant, Mike! You may be a geek and you may be a bit funny-looking, but this was seriously good. I shall spare you and make you my right-hand man after I decimate the rest of the world!

Mike Gillis July 10, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Funny looking?

Nick July 11, 2012 at 10:21 am

I loved the Yahweh or Doctor Doom game so much that I transcribed your version and added 15 more. See if you have any better luck with my quotes:

RobC July 13, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Here’s the “Robin and Jimmy Olsen forced to dig their own graves” cover that was mentioned in the podcast:

Becky Friedman July 15, 2012 at 11:53 am

Nick, dunno if had time to tune in to the 24-hr streamathon in support of Ref. 74, but after every donation we treated everyone to a Doom/Yahweh quote!

Andrés Caicedo V. August 8, 2012 at 2:48 pm

so far, the best episode of ask an atheist.
brilliant comparison!

Marcus August 26, 2012 at 2:39 pm

To answer the question regarding Ernest Borgnine playing a superhero…He actually did! He did the cameo voice for ‘mermaidman’ on the kids cartoon show Spongebob Squarepants.

Annique February 4, 2013 at 9:29 am

I’ve been listening to all of your episodes for the past few months, listening to the new ones when they came out. I only just heard this one today at the job and felt like everyone thought I was a freak for laughing and grinning all the time. At some point this stops simply being radio and start to turn into pure cabaret, and I love you guys for it.